Julie Lerman concentrates her practice in general civil litigation and insurance law, including insurance coverage and claims disputes on behalf of policyholders. Julie has advocated for many individual and business clients in the successful resolution of a broad range of legal disputes, often achieving favorable settlement before litigation or trial. Julie also has significant experience in general real estate law, including landlord/tenant issues, acquisitions and dispositions of property, leasing and lending transactions.
Among other things, Julie provides assistance to insurance policyholders in enforcing their rights to insurance coverage, including bad faith and extra-contractual claims. She has been instrumental in recovering insurance proceeds in disputed coverage matters arising out of a wide variety of claims, from health benefits to property damage claims.
- Obtained over $50,000 in additional insurance payments in a casualty loss on behalf of a policyholder.
- Successfully appealed a retroactive denial of health insurance coverage benefits on behalf of a policyholder saving hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical and hospital expenses sought to be recouped by the insurance company.
- Obtained a vacation of an 18 month old default judgment against our client of over $50,000.
- Obtained a dismissal of an action seeking over $100,000 in damages against an appraiser involving a dispute in a residential property sale.
- Represented a nonprofit parrot rescue, rehabilitation and adoption organization, and successfully obtained a Special and Unique Use Permit from the Cook County Zoning Board of Appeals allowing the continued operation of the rescue at its current facility.
1982 | J.D. Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, Chicago, IL
1979 | B.A. with High Distinction, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI